Dr Luckys Evwiekpamare Okparanyote is a distinguished physician who has made a lot of impact on the Nigerian society. He is a specialist in both Occupational Health and Family Medicine. He is the founder and Medical Director of the famous Capitol Hill Clinic/Hospital based in the city of Warri, Delta State.
An indigene of Igun in Ethiope East Local Government Area of Delta State, he was born on May 7, 1961. He started his primary education at St. John’s (C.A.C.) Primary School, Warri where he obtained Primary School Leaving Certificate in 1972. He proceeded to Government College Ughelli, Delta State, where he earned his West African School Certificate (W.A.S.C.) with Division One in 1977.
His tertiary education was at the famous University of Benin, Benin City where he studied Medicine. He bagged his M.B.,B.S. in 1985.
After some years of practice, he went back to the university for post graduate studies and obtained a Masters degree in Public Health (MPH) in 2005. He is a man who sought after knowledge in order to impart same. He therefore acquired more qualifications. He earned the Certificate in Occupational Medicine from the University of Manchester, UK (2012), Diploma in Occupational Medicine, DOccMed, from Faculty of Occupational Medicine of the Royal College of Physicians of London in 2014 and the Diploma in Family Medicine of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (2015).
Dr Ranyo as he is popularly called (a name derived from OKPARANYOTE by removing the first four and last two alphabets) started his career as a doctor as: House Officer, Department of Child Health, University of Benin Teaching Hospital between August 1985 and November 1985. He was also House Officer at the Departments of Medicine, Surgery as well as Obstetrics and Gynecology, Central Hospital, Warri, from November 1985 to June 1986 and Medical Officer (NYSC Scheme) at General Hospital, Etinan (Sept. 1986-Aug. 1987). As a Youth Corps Member, he participated in a lot of charity and community assistance work which made him to learn how to read, write and speak Ibibio, one of the local languages of the then Cross River State.
He was very active in hospital work and assisted in a lot of major surgeries while he did a lot of minor and medium surgeries. His surgical skills started here. He acquired a lot of surgical and medical skills as Medical Officer/Chief Resident, St George’s Specialist Clinic and Maternity Home, Okumagba Layout, Warri. While there, he was actively involved in management and transformed a small, little known clinic into a multi million naira enterprise that became a household name.
Dr Luckys was Medical Consultant to the Delta State Oil Producing Areas Development Commission (DESOPADEC) from 2007 to 2010. He, as stated earlier, is the Medical Director/CEO, Capitol Hill Hospitals, Warri and Effurun.
Capitol Hill Clinic/Hospital Warri was founded by him in 1996 and has grown to become a household name in Warri and environs. There are now two branches of Capitol Hill. One is at No. 2, Omamofe Sillo Street, Off Etuwewe Street, Off Deco Road, Warri and the other is at No. 38B, Airport Road, opposite the Ugborikoko Schools, Ugborikoko, Effurun – Warri. The hospital is a comprehensive medical centre which is well equipped and offers superb services to oil and gas companies, non-oil and gas companies and individuals in Warri and environs.
Dr Okparanyote is an employer of labour. His hospitals have a staff strength of well over 200 and renders 24 – hour services. Outside the hospital environment, he has been involved in a lot of activities which include:
- Waste Expo (Official Nigeria Delegate) Chicago, 2008
- Waste Expo (Official Nigeria Delegate) Las Vegas 2009
- Waste Expo (Official Nigeria Delegate) Atlanta, 2010
- Waste Expo LAWMA, Lagos, 2011
- Waste Expo (Official Nigeria Delegate) Dallas, 2011
- Desopadec Free Medical Program, Ndokwa Nation, 2008
- Desopadec Free Medical Program, Urhobo Nation, 2008
- Desopadec Free Medical Program, Isoko Nation, 2008
- Delta Broadcasting Service (DBS) Public Enlightenment Program – A Time With the Doctor.
- Free Medical Outreach of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, 2009
- Free Medical Outreach of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, 2010
He has attended many trainings and courses and has certificates to his credit. They include:
National Centre for Management and Manpower Development, Lagos (Hospital Management and Administration), 2008; Wetland Rescue Consult Academy (Certificate in Basic Life Support (BLS) 2009; Amplivox Certificate of Competence in Industrial Audiometry, Windsor UK, 2009; Amplivox Training in Industrial Spirometry (Glasgrow, 2011); National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria–BLS, ACLS 2011; Royal Society for Public Health, RSPH (Diploma in Occupational Medicine Course, 2013) and Certificate of Attendance, Training Course on HIV Treatment & Care, Lagoon Hospital Apapa, Lagos, 2006.
A man of honour, Okparanyote has awards and accolades attached to his name. Notable among them are:
- Leadership Values and Principle Enhancement Initiative of Nigeria Award in Recognition for Outstanding Commitment and Dedication to National Service Through Community Service, Philanthropy and Enterprise Excellence, 2016.,
- Nigeria Peace Magazine Leadership Ambassador Award for Distinguished Administrative Excellence, 2014.
- Absolute Focus Media Leadership Icon Award in Nation Building for contribution to Health Sector of Nigeria, 2014.
- Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria Award of Excellence in recognition of Innovations and Exemplary Medical Entrepreneurship in the Private Sector, 2014.
- NNPC/Chevron Joint Venture Escravos Gas-To-Liquids Recognition Award in Support and Contribution to the Success of the EGTL Project, 2013.
- University of Benin Alumni Association, Warri Branch: General Contributions and Continued Sustenance of the Branch Award, 2008.
- Central Hospital Philanthropic Gesture Award, 2006
- Delta Indigenes Forum (DIF) Award for Contributing to the Advancement of Humanity, 2001.
- Conferment of Chieftaincy title as an Olorogun of Agbon Kingdom by HRM Ukori I, the Ovie of Agbon Kingdom, 2013.
- University of Benin Alumni Association Worldwide’s Distinguished Alumnus (DA) Award in Recognition of Immense Contribution to the Growth of the Association and the Society in General, 2014.
Okparanyote, a prolific writer and author has some publications to his credit. He is a Member/Fellow of many professional societies and associations including: University of Benin Alumni Association, Warri, University of Manchester Alumni Association and the Nigeria Medical Association. He is currently the Chairman, Association of General and Private Medical Practitioners of Nigeria, Delta State. His other professional affiliations are as follows:
- Member, Healthcare Providers Association of Nigeria (HCPAN)
- Member, Guild of Medical Directors
- Member, Society for Quality in Healthcare in Nigeria (SQHN)
- Member, NUSA, United States Commercial Service, Lagos
- Member, Society of Occupational Medicine (SOM), UK
- Member, Faculty of Occupational Medicine, London
- Fellow Royal Society For Public Health (FRSPH), UK
Outside the medical field, Dr Okparanyote has also made a lot of impact. He is the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Tejiri Ltd and Lucky Saint Ranyo & Associates.
He is happily married to his heart throb, Angela and their union is blessed with six lovely children – four boys and two girls.
It is in recognition of his accomplishments in the field of Human Medicine & Orthodox Medical Practice that Dr Luckys Okparanyote is deemed worthy to be conferred with the Development in Nigeria Merit Award which is part of the PSR National Awards 2018.