The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake, has ordered the closure of areas covered by Mining Licence 11810 in Zuraq, Wase Local Government Area, following the deaths of villagers allegedly exposed to toxic gas while mining.

The affected site is operated by Solid Unit Nigeria Limited.

During a condolence call to Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang, Alake expressed sympathy over the loss of lives and urged him to convey the Federal Government’s support to affected families.

In a statement by the minister’s media aide, Segun Tomori, Alake described the incident as tragic and avoidable.

The minister said an investigation team led by Permanent Secretary Yusuf Yabo has been deployed to determine the remote and immediate causes of the disaster and recommend sanctions.

The team includes experts in mining safety, environmental compliance, and artisanal mining operations.

Preliminary reports indicated that the mining pit had been ceded to villagers following agitations for economic empowerment. The site was said to be an abandoned lead mine with deposits prone to emitting sulphuric oxide.

Unaware of the dangers, villagers reportedly inhaled the poisonous gas while extracting minerals.

Earlier reports indicated that at least 37 miners were feared dead, while about 25 others were hospitalised after suspected toxic gas exposure inside an underground tunnel.

Confirming the incident, Wase Youth Leader Shafi Sambo said he received distress calls from the site in the early hours of Tuesday.

“We were informed that the miners dug deep and were exposed to gas that killed many of them instantly,” he said, adding that survivors were rushed to nearby hospitals.

Sambo said the miners were extracting zinc on behalf of a firm locally known as “Dan China,” believed to be linked to the site operator.