Nigerian-born Afro-fusion star, Damini Ogulu popularly known as Burna Boy has clinched the most wins at the 2019 SoundCity MVP Awards. He took home four awards, including ‘African Artiste of the Year’.
Burna Boy also took the ‘Song of the Year’, ‘Listener’s Choice’ and ‘Best Make MVP’ at the award ceremony which was held in Lagos on Saturday night.
The first SoundCity MVP Awards were held in 2016. The winners are chosen by the viewers and fans by visiting MVPs’ website and selecting the artistes of their choice.
Burna Boy’s third award of the night was collected on stage by his mother, who thanked Phantom, the producer of his hit song ‘YE’ for his support and contribution to Burna’s success.
The ceremony which saw featured performances from Teni, Victo AD and Niniola also saw Davido and Wizkid picking one award each in the ‘Best Pop Song’ and ‘Best Collaboration’ categories respectively.
The full list of winners is as follows:
Best Male MVP – Burna Boy
Best Female MVP – Busiswa
Best Hip Hop Artiste – AKA
Best Pop – Davido
Best Collaboration – Soco – Starboy featuring Wizkid, Terri Spotless and Ceeza Milli
Digital Artiste of the Year – Mr. Eazi
Video of the Year – Heal The World – Patoranking
Best Group or Duo – Navy Kenzo
Song of the Year – Ye – Burna Boy
Best New Artiste -Teniola
Viewer’s Choice – Somiso – Wande Coal
Listener’s Choice -Ye – Burna Boy
African Producer of the Year – Phantom
African Artiste of the Year – Burna Boy
African DJ of the Year – DJ Neptune
The Soundcity MVP Awards also had special awards for entrepreneurs, all of which were presented by Ebuka Obi-Uchendu. The winners were:
- Innovation and Excellence in Business Entrepreneur – Ladipo Lawani.
- Innovation and Excellence in Sports – Ahmed Musa
- Innovation and Excellence in Fashion- Papa Oyeyemi
- Innovation and Excellence in Social Entrepreneurship and Digital Influence – Bolatito Ovia
- Innovation and Excellence in Community and Socio-Political development – Ebenezer Wikina
- Innovation and Excellence in The Creative Arts- Clarence Peters