Nigerian music star, Burna Boy, has won the 2020 BET Award for Best International Act.
The award ceremony was held virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and was broadcast via CBS early Monday morning.
Burna Boy was nominated in the same category alongside Rema (Nigeria), Innoss’B (DR Congo), Sho Madjozi (South Africa), Stormzy (United Kingdom), Dave (United Kingdom), Ninho (France) and S.Pri Noir (France).
Accepting his award, Burna Boy said:
“Second time and I appreciate it. I will like to use this opportunity to say that sometime around 1835, there was a mission to turn the nation of Africa into a dominated nation. Now is the time to return and go back to the royalty that we were because in order for black lives to matter, Africa must matter.”
This win is Burna Boy’s second consecutive BET for Best International Act win.
Read the full list of winners below:
– Album of the year: “Please Excuse Me for Being Antisocial,” Roddy Ricch
– Video of the year: “Higher,” DJ Khaled featuring Nipsey Hussle and John Legend
– Best female R&B/pop artist: Lizzo
– Best male R&B/pop artist: Chris Brown
– Best female hip-hop artist: Megan Thee Stallion
– Best male hip-hop artist: DaBaby
– Best new artist: Roddy Ricch
– Best group: Migos
– Best collaboration: “No Guidance,” Chris Brown featuring Drake
– Dr. Bobby Jones best gospel/inspirational award: Kirk Franklin, “Just for Me”
– Video director of the year: Teyana Taylor
– Humanitarian award: Beyoncé
– Best actress: Issa Rae
– Best actor: Michael B. Jordan
– Best movie: “Queen & Slim”
– Youngstars award: Marsai Martin
– Sportswoman of the year: Simone Biles
– Sportsman of the year: LeBron James
– BET HER award: Beyoncé featuring Blue Ivy Carter, Wizkid and Saint JHN, “Brown Skin Girl”
– Best international act: Burna Boy
– Viewers’ choice for best new international act: Sha Sha