The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday said contrary to reports in some quarters, no decision had been taken to postpone the Edo and Ondo governorship elections on account of the COVID-19 outbreak.
The National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, made the clarification yesterday in a statement in Abuja.
INEC had earlier fixed September 19, 2020 for the governorship election in Edo State while that of Ondo State was fixed for October 10, 2020.
He said: “The commission wishes to inform the general public that no decision has been taken to postpone the Edo and Ondo governorship elections or adjust the timetable and schedule of activities for the said elections scheduled for September 19 and October 10, 2020 respectively.
“It will be recalled that the commission on February 6, 2020 released the timetable and schedule of activities for the two elections. Since then, the timetable has not been adjusted. While we are mindful of the negative impact of the Coronavirus disease, we are also monitoring the various efforts by the federal and state governments’ health authorities and other stakeholders to contain the spread of and eliminate COVlD-l9.
“If and when the need arises to adjust the timetable for the elections, same will be conveyed to the public in the usual manner. In the meantime, we will continue to study the situation carefully and cooperate with other stakeholders in the battle against COVID-19.”