Nigerian forces working with the United States military have killed 175 Islamic State fighters in coordinated strikes targeting insurgent bases in the country’s northeast, the Defence Headquarters said on Tuesday.
The military said the joint operations with the US Africa Command (AFRICOM) destroyed terrorist checkpoints, weapons depots, logistics hubs and financing networks linked to the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP). Defence spokesperson Major-General Samaila Uba said the strikes also eliminated several senior commanders.
Among those reportedly killed were Abu Bilal al-Minuki, described as ISIL’s second-in-command globally, Abd-al Wahhab, who coordinated ISWAP propaganda and attacks, as well as Abu Musa al-Mangawi and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir.
President Bola Tinubu praised the operation and thanked US President Donald Trump for supporting Nigeria’s counterterrorism efforts.
The latest offensive comes amid growing concerns over expanding ISIL activity across Africa and signals deeper US involvement in Nigeria’s fight against insurgency following the deployment of American troops earlier this year.

Shettima: I Was Accused of Plotting to Kill Tinubu, Says Vice President
Dangote Refinery Cuts Aviation Fuel Price To ₦1,650 Per Litre
Police Rescue 30 Malians, Arrest 13 Suspected Human Traffickers In Nasarawa
AFRICOM, Nigerian Forces Launch Fresh Strikes On ISIS Targets