The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai has described as unfortunate a statement credited to the presidential candidate of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar asking the Nigerian Army to disregard President Muhammadu Buhari’s order for them to deal ruthlessly with ballot box snatchers in the forthcoming general elections.
Speaking on Wednesday at a meeting he held with Principal Staff Officers, General Officers Commanding and Brigade Commanders, Buratai said Atiku’s statement was most unfortunate given that he had been in the highest level of government as a Vice President and knows fully that the Nigerian Army, particularly the military were meant to obey the orders of the Commander-In-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces to the letter.
The COAS said they will treat Buhari’s order with exception and asked Atiku to withdraw the statement and apologize for attempting to incite the Army against a constituted authority that it was meant to fully obey.
Buratai also warned politicians and their supporters against testing the will of the Army, stressing that those found to have violated the law would be dealt with in line with Buhari’s directive.
He added that all personnel attached to retired Army Generals that have turned politicians will be withdrawn as according to him, no political actor would be allowed to use Army escorts.