The United Nations (UN) on Wednesday called for an improvement in the efforts to secure lives and property in Nigeria’s North-East.
A statement released by the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr. Edward Kallon through the Head of Communication, Samantha Newport in Maiduguri also expressed concern over the deteriorating state of insecurity in the North-East region of the country.
Kallon said thousands of civilians have fled due to Boko Haram attacks, noting that the December 26, 2018 clash between Nigerian troops and the terrorist group in Baga and Munguno towns has triggered a massive displacement of people.
Kallon said: “The impact of the recent fighting on innocent civilians is devastating and has created a humanitarian tragedy. It is heart-wrenching to see so many of these people living in congested camps or sleeping outside with no shelter.” he said.
While regretting that the clashes were hampering the delivery of assistance to hundreds of thousands of displaced persons, Kallon revealed that about 260 aid workers have so far been withdrawn from three local government areas of Borno State, namely Monguno, Kala/Balge and Kukawa.